Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Zoe

Here she is; our new dog Zoe....a name which in Greek means "life". 



No doubt, if you saw this picture and thought of her becoming another nameless canine in the local Dog Shelter, you would have replied to the e-mail too.  But before you took her into your home and claimed her as your own, you surely would have had a good think about things.  Things like: 

  • how having a young dog is like adopting a new child into the family;
  • dog training - how much time have I got?
  • dirt in the house, horrid smells, "little" accidents - can I handle this?
  • walking the dog - every day?
  • dogs barking at night - no, surely that's not my dog?

So really, what on earth was I thinking?  I've just sent my youngest child to school and was really enjoying a bit of time for myself. Clearly, about the dog...I wasn't thinking at all.  Faced with an impending house move, 4 pleading and excited children, an empty kennel in the backyard, and that idyllic family picture imprinted in my mind of 4 young kids and a dog; my brain went to jelly.

Now (4 days in) my brain is a little firmer and this is my reality:  New house, husband away, dog not trained, dog needs time and attention, dog pees on carpet, dog sits on me every time I try to play on the mat with my kids, dog carries food into house and spits it out, dog eats toys, dog is not yet de-sexed, currently 'on heat' and somewhat jumpy at the mere sight of anything on 4 legs.......Aaargghhhh!!!!! How can I become an animal lover - FAST?

All you pet people out there: please help!

But sometimes you've just got to laugh....
We all arrived home from school on Monday and Monica (our maid) was with us.  She looks at the tiled floor and the little drops of blood on it.  Having not been with us the past 2 days, Monica looked a little dismayed, perhaps even confused.  Jessie picks up on this straight away and says to her "oh, don't worry Monica, Zoe is just having her period, that blood should stop next week".

Now that's life giving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment