Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Back to school!

Here we are back in the home routine, after the long hot hazy summer.  Hazy because that's what the horizon always looked like on the drive to the beach, and hazy because I can't quite articulate how we passed 11 out of 12 weeks mostly here in Nicosia.  Overall, for me as a Mum, it was the best summer we've had here and what I had hoped it would be like.  No early starts, no routines, minimal plans, less social engagements, lots of reading and mid-day films and heaps of frozen yogurt.



After that kind of summer break, finished off with our wonderful experience in Turkey, it was quite a shock to return to no Menaka for the first 5 days (she was in Sri Lanka) and lots to prepare for going back to school.  I definitely had a few 'moments' in which I wondered how I will cope transitioning back to full domestic and cooking duties in Sydney! The endless tasks around the house, the need for the kids to help more and the physical exhaustion at the end of the day......it all came flooding back to me.  No doubt I'll need to give myself a fair amount of time to adjust back to reality when we return.  But in the meantime, I intend to fully appreciate this Cyprus experience. One way I love to do this is around 5.30pm when Monica's preparing dinner, and the taxi-ing around is over, I get to hang out with the kids, teach then how to set the table or do something with just one of them.  What a treat!


All of us were happy to have Menaka back!
The children have been back at school one week now.  The excitement of the annual 'stationary shop' has passed, we've done the shoe shopping, labelled the uniforms, met the new kids, and 'sussed' out the teachers. The school routine has begun with early mornings (6.50am bus) and busy afternoons.  Jessie is in Yr 6, Angus in Yr 5, Sam in Yr 1 now wearing the school uniform, and Anna in Foundation 2 Pre-School.  Some of the exciting and interesting conversations going around our house this past week:

Jessie: "Mum, I'm a Senior Prefect!" and "That mouse is innocent! Don't kill it!"
Angus: "Ha Ha, the teacher didn't say anything about my hair".
Sam: "Do you think it might rain today?" (his latest concern) and proudly "we've already been to assembly TWICE this week"
Anna: "Mum, when it's P.E. day, I wear my football shoes - OK?" and "I want to visit Greece because that's where Lucas comes from".  Anna has also started playing football with Arsenal football school, and told us the other day she would like to become a boy....!



For me, it was nice to have a week catching up on appointments.  Doctors, Dentists, Hairdressers etc...The dental situation is ongoing for the next few weeks unfortunately.  I've learnt a hard lesson but nothing that can't be rectified.  (ie: KNOW for a fact that your dentist is good before you even sit in the chair and...don't make appointments just before you fly because fillings can explode at high altitude)  OUCH!!!! No, don't worry - I didn't experience the latter; it's just a fact that would have been handy to know as then I wouldn't be in this situation.

So whilst the kids are at school until 1.30pm, I am enjoying a bit of quiet in the house and having the mornings to myself.  I wish it were as serene as it sounds but, like many Mums when all their kids finally go to school, it still feels like a juggle with everything taking longer than originally thought.  Once the groceries and the Sunday School planning/admin is done, I'm trying to carve out time to complete a few courses that will help to prepare me professionally for when we return to Sydney.  I'm also seeing a few young people who need some specific therapeutic help and I'm really enjoying this.
There's a book group I attend that's asking me to read all sorts of strange novels and then there's volunteering at the school...but not too much!  Apart from that, I'm trying to get back into running and hoping to do a 5km event in December (after 5 years this is a SLOW process!).

Speaking of December; may it roll along quickly as Mum and Dad are coming for Christmas!

Aahh!! A mouse in the house!










"You don't need to walk me in today Mum,
I'll catch the bus!"




















First day back; some happier than others...

No comments:

Post a Comment