Friday, March 11, 2011

A note from Sarah

I realize that many of you are enjoying rea ding our blog and living a ‘virtual’ life in Cyprus through us.  We’ve appreciated the feedback; in fact it has certainly kept us writing.  I’ve had comments like “it’s all so wonderfully new” and “I’m killing for some of that unknown-ness” and “your family will always remember this” and “it’s challenging now but it’s such a character building experience”. 
You know though, sometimes I feel like I should just leave my character how it is:)  Today I have had a day in which almost every hour I have thought to myself “this is just TOO HARD!”  Take for example, the little things only this evening: have just put the kids to bed on my own (Ross in Amsterdam) and now stinging to relax in a nice warm bath – no hot water.  Finish the washing up, by boiling the kettle etc.. it’s getting pretty tedious without a dishwasher (am so glad God didn’t grant me my first wish of going to live in a village in West Africa!). Thinking that writing a blog might be good for my state of mind so I start setting up at the outdoor furniture setting which we are using for everything until our stuff arrives (the sea shipment is apparently stuck in some stormy, closed port in Italy).  Due to not having any internet connection here yet, I open a Word document.  Ok, low battery on the laptop, so  I go looking for the 1 adaptor we have (which moves around the house constantly) as we haven’t had enough time or head space to find the right adaptors in the shop – a case of small but important things getting put on hold but in the end very annoying.  Next problem: table is not near a power point. So I move to the couch and set up with a laptop and a bar of chocolate.  I think I’m settled. Now, lets look at the positives from that tiny ordeal: all 4 children still asleep, power IS working, laptop was handy in that I can sit anywhere, Lindt chocolate (Intense Orange) extremely delicious.
This blog was actually going to be about finding home help but it’s such a juicy one that I think I’ll tackle it in a separate entry.  Meanwhile, just to finish off this blog, I’ll fill you in on some of the little aspects of life at present:
1.       Since moving last Saturday and actually living in this place we’ve found some things a little impractical and so have had to delicately approach our landlord with a fairly extensive list of “things to attend to”.  I use the word ‘delicately’ because, as you well know, I have learnt from previous experience never to say negative things to landlords about their house! Fortunately he is a reasonable man yet, without being too culture & gender specific – a typical Mediterranean male – with no understanding of what a woman might find necessary & practical for her home.  Take kitchen cupboards for example; plenty of them but nowhere near enough shelves.  Corner cupboards that knock into one another (“but this is the modern way! No, I will not change this for you”).  A cupboard to enclose the microwave so that one needs to open two doors to defrost some peas (and if you close the cupboard whilst cooking, you forget it was even there).  There is even a wardrobe cupboard that opens out onto a light bulb – smash!  I could go on, but I won’t.  Suffice to say, I’m holding off on setting places for everything because I’m hoping for some cabinet improvements…
2.       The children are well but unfortunately going through a 2nd phase of settling in because this week we are in a new place.  At dinner I feel like I have 4 hyperactive untrained monkeys in my house.  Am desperately looking for my sense of humour at these times.  Jessie & Angus share a room and have been getting along well with J reading Horrid Henry to A each night.  Sam & Anna also share a room.  Am counting the days for when I don’t have to bend down into that Port-a-cot.
3.       The 3 older children get a lift to school with Ross at 7am each morning (which he is enjoying) and then take the bus home most days and arrive home around 2pm.  A very long day for Sam but he is taking it like a trooper.  Today he came home with a tear-stained face whilst Jessie explained how his teacher accidently put him on the wrong bus.  Imagine his horror when he took a seat on the bus and found no older brother or sister with him!
4.       Jess woke up all sad this morning and said she had dreamt about her best friend Kelly.
5.       Angus asked me if I liked him today…go figure that one Mrs Psychologist.
6.       Anna is basically difficult.  I feel for her deeply as this whole experience is not what a 2yr old thrives on.  I can’t think about this too much as I know she’ll get through this initial stage with everything so different.
7.       On a more positive note, Anna & I have found a great playgroup full of friendly English speaking Mums from all over the world.  We’ll also start attending a more casual weekly get together at various Mother’s houses.  And every fortnight there is a fantastic little sing-a-long group of Mums and small children which is wonderful in all its simplicity (who needs Kindermusik?).  In between that, we do the supermarket shopping which takes ages, cook dinner which continues to be a chore (no changes there ladies) and also try to have some home time which is currently non-existent.
8.       My one breath of fresh air, despite the awkward start, is swimming.  Twice a week I swim laps at a heated outdoor pool only a few mins drive away.  Anna has so far sat quietly in the winter morning sunshine eating jam toast and this has been a nice conversation starter.
9.       Speaking of swimming, Ross managed to get a real taste of the Mediterranean when he dived in down at the coast over the weekend.  I thought he was just climbing down the rocks to test the water with his hand but when I looked again, he was down to his dacks and diving in.  I smiled as I knew how good that would have felt for him.  His work has been enjoyable but very taxing.
10.   Still one more car to purchase; hopefully we are nearly there as World Vision will need their vehicle back soon. 
11.   Whilst Ross looks for a car, I look for a maid.  With Ross heading off to Georgia and Armenia next week for 8 days, there is no bigger priority.  I can’t wait to get some permanent help into the home.  In our new apartment, she won’t live in, but I think I prefer it that way.
Hopefully now, you’re all up to date in the most general of ways.  Please do the same for us from your lives in Oz.  The small things, which you may consider boring, are incredibly interesting to us and a great antidote to homesickness.
Lots of love, Sarah.

1 comment:

  1. hi everyone, i am loving the letters from cyprus blog. same old, same old here in sydney. cyprus sounds like an interesting place to be in. i bet you will be glad to receive your stuff when it finally arrives from italy. i would imagine that this will make life a little easier. take care and kind regards. graham

    ReplyDelete