Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Wife, yes. But a HOUSE Wife no longer.

After flying Business Class for the first time, a friend looked at me very seriously and said "I can never go back".  This week, as we happily adjust to full time help at home, I feel exactly the same.  So, in short, this blog is about securing a MAID.  Wow, I can't believe I am writing this, only a week after everything just felt so hard.  Spring has sprung, literally and metaphorically.

It seems that having 4 children is a little unusual in Cyprus.  Most Cypriots seem to have 1 or 2 offspring. From the very first day we arrived, I have had advice and suggestions, mainly staff from Ross' office, that employing a full-time maid would be the way to go.   I also realized quite quickly that it could take a while and there is a lot of paperwork involved to do it properly and legally.  Most of the maids come from Sri Lanka or the Philipinnes and, in order to get a valid working visa, they require their employer to 'sponsor' them and essentially be responsible for their well-being whilst they are in Cyprus.  So the employer starts by paying an initial deposit to the government which basically guarantees that you'll be responsible for them whilst they're in the country. Then there is the monthly wage plus their medical insurance, bus fares, rent if they live out, food and personal items e.g. clothes, shampoo etc...  On the other hand, if you choose to employ somebody on a casual basis (like most babysitting jobs) then you don't have to undertake any of this responsibility; just pay an hourly rate.

So, from very early on, I was in a quandry as to what was going to work best for us, both practically & economically.  I had some casual cleaners come in during the first few weeks and, whilst this was very helpful, it completely freaked Anna out to see a range of different African or Asian cleaners.  She would cling to my leg or cry to be picked up so I basically had to get out of the house.  I knew this would pass eventually so I didn't dwell on it too much.  I realized that with the maid option, it was going to be hard to have any 'choice' because they had to be legally under someone's care to work in your home.  Oh man, I thought, what if I don't like her and then it takes another month to complete all the paperwork and find somebody else?  By this time I was getting exhausted and desperate so I advertised for some part-time help in an International Church newsletter.  That Sunday, I received 5 calls!  All these foreign students wanting work.  I set about meeting most of them that week, which was a wonderful experience that helped me to work through the issues in my head.  There was Safina, from Bangladesh, a very intelligent Economics graduate doing further studies here in Cyprus but not so well versed on minding children.  Then there was Anka, from Romania, who had been here only 1 week, didn't speak great English and whom we found it hard to warm to.  Things started looking up, however, when Constance from Nigeria breezed through the door.  A beautiful African Christian woman in her late twenties, with braided hair and a natural affinity with kids.  Within two minutes of arriving she was laughing with the kids, speaking easily with me whilst juggling the ever talkative Jessie on her lap.  A fascinating but tiring week, especially with Anna not trusting these strange looking women!

After looking at Constance's timetable and realizing that I would have to make-do without her on the nights she had lectures in the 'witching hour', I started to think that the part-time student may not be what I'm looking for.  With Ross' hectic & ad-hoc travel schedule, I needed to go with the serious full-time maid option.  Fortunately, within a day of that decision, I had a call from an 'agent' who places maids.  He had a lady who had  just been 'released' (sounds like she was jailed!) from her previous employer and was free to come and work for me for a couple of days at first to see if I liked her.  Aha, so I have the opportunity of a trial period.  Awesome - so I took it.

And here enters Monica (pronounced Maneka, in Sri Lankan) who tried out last Friday & Saturday and then started full-time on Monday (that was yesterday).  And, well, lets just say, I'm smiling and "I can't go back".  Picture this, ladies: I walk in the door with my hands heavy laden with jackets and bags etc.. and Monica just takes everything and within a few minutes has put it all away.  The washing is going in the machine, the breakfast dishes are done, the floor swept and she asks "Is there anything you need done Madam?"  Oh man, is this for real?  Can I really sit down with my son and test him on his spelling without having to get up a thousand times to tend to the little ones?  Did she really do all that ironing and clean most of the windows AND mop the floor all in one morning whilst I was out grocery shopping with Anna? And this week, I think I'll teach her to do that too! This is just too good; really it is.  As for Ross, he may well become my beloved husband once more; not just my partner in crime who helped cause this exhausting season of life.

Monica is a lovely lady, about 28yrs of age, always smiling and quick to laugh.  The look on her face when the children first got off the bus from school was priceless - she loves kids.  She has a 4yr old son of her own, who is being raised by her younger sister and parents, so I think Sam (being the same age) may become a particularly special one for her.  I find her very easy to be with and have in my house so we have kicked off to a good start. If only she could learn to call me "Sarah"!

And to cap off a few good days, we've just heard that our sea shipment has arrived in Cyprus and should be with us before the week is out.  Ross did the rounds once again at Customs today and all papers are stamped in triplicate.  Can't wait to 'make house' and feel that a bit of Australia has crossed the seas to be with us.  More packing box 'houses' for the kids this weekend!




"When is our REAL TV coming Mum?"

3 comments:

  1. WOO HOO!!! LIVE IT UP BABY!!! I mean 'Madam'!!!- sigh...........can you not give me too many more detailed descriptions of how good it is??? So glad things are settling. Take care and love to all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great news that you have some help around the house. take care and kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very glad that things are looking up for you now. The maid sounds awesome....and wow little Anna is looking much older now. Nice also to see such happy smiling faces on the kids. Lots of love, Sue, Simon & Katelyn xox

    ReplyDelete