Tuesday, February 15, 2011

This and That

Even after only two weeks, we are starting to get down to some of the more mundane aspects of life.  School, work, kids' routines, housework (still waiting on that maid!) and, of course, the eternal question of what to cook for dinner.

The positve aspect of this is that last night we did something that we considered 'incredibly normal' at this early stage.  Thanks to being able to access a colleague's daughter for babysitting, we went out to dinner together.  We arrived just before 8pm, a little concerned about whether we had the right place as it was empty but for 1 table.  I told her I had a table booked under my name and she directed us to the outdoor seating.  Since it was about 10 degrees outside I assertively said that we'd prefer to sit inside (at one of the 30 odd empty tables!)  She replied (just as assertively) that the restaurant was fully booked for the evening.  Gulp....and she was right.  By 9pm, there were guests arriving to fill the last table.  They live by a late night clock here.

The restaurant was what they call a 'tavern' which seems to mean that they serve traditional Cypriot 'meze' dishes. Of course, we lapped up the Haloumi cheese and fresh salads but also felt that, after looking around at what the locals were all eating, we would definitely order better on our next visit.  The wine is not bad...perhaps a taste to be acquired. 

Some of the not so positive aspects of life becoming more normal, as I'm sure many of you can appreciate at this stage of the year, is THE EVERYDAY ROUTINE.  For us, this is a 6am wake up (in the dark here as it's winter) followed by a very new thing for Ross & I which is actually waking our children.  Breakfast is gobbled down at a rate of knots with lots of Sarah nagging Jessie to "stop talking and get a wriggle on".  Kids are taken to school for the bell at 7.25am and Ross walks about 30mins to work.  From today, however, he has some options as he just bought a little VW Golf.  This essentially means that he might save me from school drop off altogether!  When he is in the country of course...

Speaking of Ross travelling, it hasn't begun yet but he'll have a conference all next week at the coast in Larnaca.  I've been searching for a casual babysitter during the day so that I can get a bit of time to myself and I'm going to start with a lady this week.  A very interesting middle-aged English Cypriot woman who grew up here, endured the 1974 war and then moved to England.  She has only just returned a couple of months ago to look after her elderly father.  Hopefully when we move house we'll get some more permanent home help installed...more on that later.

Ah yes, the house.  This place that we are currently in is just not right for us.  We can't wait to move.  Aside from the hard tiles, the lack of out-door clothes line  and the low-hanging chandelier that I keep banging my head on; we have an old Cypriot landlord who won't stop talking and torturing us with his terrible English.  Forgive me if I sound harsh on this man; I'll need some patience myself as I begin to learn Greek.

And learn Greek I will.  I just found out about a Greek course for beginners at the university in town.  Can't wait.  Not least because it will get me out of the witching hour two nights a week.

What else can I tell you?  Am not getting lost so much these days.  Am learning that the city is really quite small and I'm never really far from my destination; it's just a matter of getting around the one-way streets.

Have also learnt that the Jolly Radiographer was not so unusual setting up his business in an apartment.  Today I discovered that a number of things I needed could be found in apartment blocks.  Beauticians, hair-dressers, physiotherapists....you just buzz their button downstairs and they let you in!  Voila!  Am looking forward to a Pilates class in somebody's (ex) lounge-room.

I met my local GP today.  A very friendly lady from the US who talked so much that by the time we finished the appointment (1hr!) the pharmacy had closed.  Not such a big deal and worth it for a thorough session.  She even said she'd ring in a few days to see how I was doing.  Huh?  Unfortunately this lady won't be the childrens' doctor as everybody under the age of 18yrs must see a paediatrician.  Yes, even for a runny nose.  I'm still getting my head around that one.

Our air freight finally cleared customs and arrived today.  Great to have a little bit more of home with us, along with a high-chair for Anna and a scooter for Angus.  Sam was always happy with his Turkish belly-dancing "Katchinga" and Jessie not fussed as long as she could e-mail Kelly.   

Thats This and That for you. Oh, and tonight we had roast chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment